Position Announcement Deputy Director
Supervisor: Executive Director
Directly Supervises: Program Staff
Employment Status: Regular, Full-time, and Exempt
Elders in Action is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit dedicated to ensuring the quality of life for older adults never depends on their age. Founded in 1968 as the Portland Multnomah Commission on Aging and incorporated in 1997 as a private nonprofit, our mission is to ensure a vibrant community through the active involvement of older adults. We are a small staff of seven and are powered by the experience and talent of over 150 volunteers.
Located in Portland, OR, we serve the aging population 60+ throughout the tri-county area by offering personal support, educational programs, advocacy and volunteer engagement. Our vision is to create a community that promotes opportunities for all older adults to be active and engaged and to contribute in meaningful ways to the health and vitality of our community.
As Elders in Action approaches its 50th Anniversary, we are embarking on an organizational review of our vision, mission and goals with the intention ensuring that Elders in Action maintains its relevance to a growing and increasingly diverse older adult population in the Portland Metro area. The ideal candidate will be interested and be a leader in this effort to ensure Elders in Action is inclusive and representative of the diversity of our community elders.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director will have both internal and external responsibilities ranging from staff management, program development and implementation, assisting with developing agency-funding strategies, to management and administration. The Deputy Director will work with the Executive Director to facilitate the agency’s work plan development, strategic goals and grant management activities.
- Facilitates goal setting and agency program development
- Assists Executive Director with overall management of activities including assisting with agency funding approaches
- Manages the agencies programs and the program staff
- Maintains relationships with community partners, funders, businesses and the public
- Supervises the implementation and evaluation of grant funded programs
- Identify best practices and improve/enhance internal systems with a focus on needs and budget realities
- Develop and implement education and training opportunities with staff, partners and community groups
- Actively assist with agency volunteer management
- Serves as the acting director in the absence of the Executive Director
- 5+ years experience in a leadership position preferably in a non-profit organization
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Business, Management, Human Services, related field or equivalent experience
- Experience and skill in working with a board of directors, advisory groups and volunteers
- Knowledge of current trends, issues and challenges facing older adults
- Must be willing to work in a small office environment and be willing to work collaboratively with team members
- Excellent management, supervision and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships within the Portland community
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills are essential
- Experience with working with older adults and a commitment to Elders in Action mission
- Ability to work with efficiency, flexibility and professionalism
Salary Range: $48,000-$52,000
Qualified and interested candidates should submit the following items listed below (PDF format preferred) to Barbara Bernstein, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Deputy Director Position” by 5pm on Monday, June 8th, 2015.
- One-page cover letter which includes your interest and qualifications for this position
- Three professional references
Elders in Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.