Position: Civic Involvement Coordinator
Supervisor: Deputy Director
Employment Status: Regular, Full-time and Exempt
Elders in Action is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit dedicated to ensuring the quality of life for older adults never depends on their age. Founded in 1968 as the Portland Multnomah Commission on Aging and incorporated in 1997 as a private nonprofit, our mission is to ensure a vibrant community through the active involvement of older adults. We are a small staff of eight and are powered by the experience and talent of over 150 volunteers.
Located in Portland, OR, we serve the aging population 60+ throughout the tri-county area by offering personal support, educational programs, advocacy and volunteer engagement. Our vision is to create a community that promotes opportunities for all older adults to be active and engaged and to contribute in meaningful ways to the health and vitality of our community.
Elders in Action is embarking on an organizational review of our vision, mission and goals to ensure that Elders in Action maintains its relevance to a growing and increasingly diverse older adult population in the Portland Metro area. The ideal candidate will be actively engaged in this effort to ensure Elders in Action is inclusive and representative of the diversity of our community elders.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Civic Involvement Coordinator will have responsibilities ranging from advocacy effort leadership to creating and sustaining robust relationships with public officials, coalition partners, advocates, community organizations and the public. The Civic Involvement Coordinator is the main conduit for the agency’s advocacy efforts in partnership with city, county and nonprofit partners. This position also facilitates the work and engagement of the Advisory Council, federally mandated under the Older Americans Act, in its advisory role with the Multnomah County Aging and Disability Services and the City of Portland.
- Coordinates recruitment, screening and mentoring of Council volunteers.
- Facilitates work plan development, advocacy coordination and project activities for the 31-member volunteer Council.
- Assists with prioritization of the Agency’s advisory and advocacy efforts.
- Coordinates advocacy initiatives and activities with government partners and other community partner advisory groups.
- Develops materials, reports and statistical information as needed to support the work of the Agency’s programs.
- Coordinates advocacy efforts such as testimony at public hearings, meetings with elected officials and participation in partner organization advisory groups.
- Supports and integrates issues and trends from the organization’s Personal Advocate program into the Agency and Council’s advocacy efforts.
- Train, develop and engage volunteer advocates.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Human Services or related field OR a minimum of 5 years relevant work experience.
- Experience coordinating and managing volunteer advisory groups and coordinating culturally appropriate meetings.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and respond to issues in a time sensitive manner.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly collect, analyze and convey information about complex regulations, policy and proposals to a variety of audiences.
- Experience working with volunteers and a commitment to Elders in Action mission.
- Ability to work with efficiency, flexibility and professionalism.
- Must be willing to work in a small office environment and work collaboratively with staff and volunteers.
- Commitment to building a diverse group of volunteers.
- Positive, proactive, solution oriented.
- Valid driver’s license required and access to reliable motorized vehicle to travel locally.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit the following items listed below (PDF format preferred) to JoAnn Herrigel, Deputy Director, at email@example.com with the subject line “Civic Involvement Coordinator Position” by 5pm on Tuesday, December 29, 2015.
- One-page cover letter which includes your interest and qualifications for this position
- Three professional references
Elders in Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from various ages, bilingual and bicultural backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary starts at $36,000